A couple of weeks ago, Zane woke up with really red cheeks. I thought maybe he'd slept with his face mashed into his pillow. Well, by that afternoon, they were still red as red can be. So I thought to my little oldish self, "Maybe I should take him to the doctor. Why not? I've only been there like 83 times in the past year. What's one more time?" So off we went. Dr. Edwards knew right away what it was~ 5th Disease, aka Slap Cheek Disease aka Parvovirus B19. What the crap? I'd never heard of any of these things. He said it's a virus that is contagious, but you don't know you have it until the rash breaks out and by then it's not contagious anymore. Well isn't that lovely. Then he showed me Zane's arms and the rash was spreading there. He said it could last up to 2 weeks and there was nothing I could do. Thankfully, it wasn't really bothering him. It just looked like I had slapped the kid, hence, Slap Cheek Disease. I talked to some of my sisters, and Laurel said 3 of her kids had something very similar but she thought it was just a reaction to the new sheet rock they were putting up in their house. Then Karen said Nathan had a rash on his face after being at Laurel's, and she thought it was from the sheet rock too. Nope. 5th Disease! Then a couple days later, Lindsay broke out with it. Her's lasted longer than Zane's. We're now done with it, hopefully and I'm sorry if my kids gave your kids 5th Disease. It wasn't planned. :)
I also threw in a picture of Zane's pinkie that still hasn't healed. I finally took him to a Dermatologist yesterday and he injected it with some meds. Yes, I said injected, folks. He said the topical stuff we were putting on it wasn't strong enough, so he stuck a needle in his pinkie and called him Macaroni. What? Sorry for the lame humor. Poor Zane didn't even know it was coming. But it was better that way because if he would have seen the needle he would have FREAKED OUT! So we turned on Finding Nemo and I nonchalantly held his legs down. The Dr. was acting like he was just looking at the pinkie, when WAMMO! he stuck it in. Zane cried pretty hard (it broke my heart) but he did good to hold still. He still doesn't know that it was a needle. He just thinks the Dermo was poking it. Needless to say, it hurt him all day yesterday and he cried about it a lot. He didn't even want to play with his friends. So HOPEFULLY in about 2 weeks I can post something to the effect of "Wonders of Wonders, Miracles, Miracles! It's healed!" We'll see.
The game. Homecoming 2021 finally arrived and it was such a fun night.
Especially since Paige was cheering and Curt was here from Utah! I loved
homecomin...
4 years ago
9 comments:
EWWWW, on the pinky! I hope it's healing now. Wow! You know, maybe it's just me but I never heard of 5th's disease or Foot and Mouth or any of these crazy illnesses till I moved to Eagle Mountain. I'm sure they exist everywhere but it's not something I ever had to deal with till we moved here. Maybe it's just the concentration of kids all over the place. Crazy! Glad they are all well again!
Ouch! Poor guy! OH, and I laughed out loud (but I did not pee) about the "called it Macaroni" insert!
DAMN 5th Disease! And non-healing pinkies!!
p.s. I heard about a study they are doing for people with excema - where they pay you to try some treatments. Let me know if Dan wants to try it and I'll get the info. (Whatever it takes to make a buck!!)
So, has your doctor just left an opening in his schedule every week so the Doney's can drop by? I'm sorry you and the kids end up there so often. I'm glad this time it was mild and they're better now. We miss you guys!
Hey Girl! 5ths disease runs rampant here in the Midwest, then again...so does head lice! Ewww. Parker's kindergarten class last year had 7 cases of 5ths. They neglected to tell me that it could be dangerous to pregnant women, so I had to go and be tested. ::sheesh:: Hope the little people are feeling better. AND I hope you're surviving all the trips to the doctor! Love, Kami
I have never heard of that fifth disease, so messed up! The weird viruses kids get!
And what happend to Zane's pinky? Do you just feel like you are surounded by disease! :)
Holy Crap, Heather...I think maybe you'd better just find a live-in Dr for your kids :) Keep one on retainer..lol. I'm glad your kids are looking less slapped around :) I"ll be emailing you soon w/ the info you asked for earlier, btw..love ya!
Yes, quit beating the children...or at least slap them where others can't see the marks! Oh, that sounds really bad, sorry! I was just kidding~ I love kids! Also, I've completely had the same 'shot' scenario before...I hate tricking the kids, but to tell them would be worse to deal with, it seems! And I too, appreciated the 'macaroni' comment!~
Well, I actually did "pee" at the macaroni comment. I thought it was pretty good!
Heather, I swear you should not have to pay the doctor anymore with how many visits you've given them this year alone. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I'm trying to add up just the co-payments alone....you're making them all rich! Stop beating the children....
Post a Comment