Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley 1910-2008

I can truly say that I am deeply saddened about the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley. I know I probably shouldn't say I have a favorite prophet but he is my favorite. He was the prophet for almost half my life so far. I remember President Benson a little. He was good friends with my Grandma and Grandpa Skousen and he came to their 50th Anniversary in 1986 and I had the chance to meet him. I was only 8 but it is a special memory. My mom took us kids to his public viewing after he passed away and I remember that. Because President Hunter was only the prophet for a short time, I don't remember much. I heard the news about President Hinckley while at my parent's house last night at about 8:00. Heidi's fiance, Jeff, texted her saying he had died. We all couldn't believe it so we quickly turned on the tv to see the breaking news. Of course, Lindsay heard us and went running downstairs to tell all of her cousins. Then she wanted to start calling any family and friends she could think of. I told her she could call Karen and Christian (who had just left my parent's). I was glued to the news until 11:00 last night when we got home. It didn't really hit me until they showed people down at Temple Square singing "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet." That is when I started to cry. I feel like President Hinckley was so connected to the youth of the church, well, actually everyone, mormon or non-mormon. I know people who are not members of the church and they loved him too. What an amazing example he has been. I LOVED his sense of humor. He always made us laugh during his conference talks. I am so grateful that he was able to be our prophet for so many years and will miss him, but I know he is with his sweetheart again and that they are happy together. I am grateful to be a part of this true church and for the knowledge that we have of life after death. We love you President Hinckley!

2 comments:

{Quellie} said...

What a kind tribute to a wonderful man! Hope you guys are surviving the wonderful Utah snow! Our blood has thinned, I think. We shiver and it's 60 outside!

Ruuddudes said...

Isn't it amazing how many people he effected? Everyone I know has the same reaction ~ He truly was a prophet!