![]() |
| Make a Smilebox scrapbook |
The 4th of July is one of my very favorite holidays! I have the fondest memories of this day and have been trying to keep some of the traditions my family did when we were kids. We always go to the Riverton Parade on July 3rd, but because that was my cousin's wedding, we missed it this year. So instead Karen invited us up to her in-laws neighborhood (East Millcreek) for their little parade that they do on the morning of the 4th. It's mostly kids on decorated bikes or wagons and some small floats. Lindsay has wanted to be in a parade for the past couple of years, so she was so excited about this. So we kind of decorated her bike and our wagon for the boys and brought candy to throw. They loved it. Everyone was cheering for them! Lindsay just kept waving and smiling. The boys wanted to sit down after a few minutes to catch candy, but Lindsay wanted to keep going. So I went with her a little further. It was so much fun. Then we headed back south for the Riverton Town Days. The kids got to choose 2 rides to ride (it's so dang expensive) then they got to buy a prize at the booths. After buying our usual bag of Kettle Corn and Roasted Almonds, we went to my parent's house, where we made a homemade slip 'n slide and filled up the kiddie pool. My dad also turned the heat down in the hot tub so we could sit in it and not burn up, since it was nearly 100 degrees. The men had a riot on their slip 'n slide. They put the kids plastic chairs and a birdbath at the end of the slide and then would run, slide and see how many chairs (or birdbath) they could knock over with their bodies. They were so sore the next day. Dan and my kids talked me into trying it. I thought, "ok, I'll try and be a cool mom and wife." I decided to run, and sit on my bum instead of going on my stomach. BIG MISTAKE! Instead, I ran, jump onto the slide, slipped onto my bum and slammed my head back into the hard ground! It hurt so bad! I had to lay there for a minute. I had an instant headache and the next day my neck was so sore (whiplash!). So I guess I'll give up on trying to be cool and just sit on my butt and watch the kids have fun. Later in the day, we had a BBQ with my fam (Matt and Lauren came from Cali. too) and then made a video (classic us) of Skousen's Got Talent (instead of America's Got Talent). It was so pathetic, but most of our videos are. But we had a blast filming and watching it. At 10:00 pm we headed over to our usual spot at Rosamond Elementary to watch the Riverton fireworks, then went back to my parent's to light our own fireworks. It was a busy day but probably one of my favorite 4th of July's (minus the slip 'n fall). BTW Karen caught it on tape, but don't think I'm going to put it on my blog. You'll have to beg her to see it! I am very grateful for this free land we live in. I am so thankful for those who fought and died and are continuing to fight and die for our freedom (my cousin Kenn will home from Iraq next week!). I am grateful for a Grandfather who LOVED this country and our founding fathers and passed that onto his family. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

8 comments:
Hey, late night blogger, I just got your email saying you posted...I'm 1st! I love the 4th too, but need to come to Riverton to celebrate! Its so dang hot here we don't even have a parade... Sorry about the fall, I must but Karen to post this though..
Glad you had a good holiday! That Smilebox w/ the music was so cute. You guys are lookin' great!
You're so cute! I saw the video of the slip and slide on Karen's myspace. It looked so painful I hope your feeling better. And you are a very cool wife and mom!! Love ya!
Oh so I can go to Karen's myspace to view the fall? I'm on it!
Too bad we don't live closer....the 4th is my all time favorite holiday. I love to do the parades and festivities all day. Makes for a long day but a memorable one! I'm off to view Karen's myspace....
Hope your head is feeling better!
It really was such a fun day...we're so glad that we were able to come out then!!! I love the digital scrapbook...you all looked so cute that day!!!
Ha! I saw the video on Karen's Myspace, I am so sorry!! That really looked like it hurt, I love the kids in the beginning "Go mommy, go mommy." Speaking of your kids, tell them to quit growing up so fast!
Sorry you got whiplash & that I'm laughing at the visual! I too try real ahrd to maintain coolness & in my old age I think I'm just coming off nerdier and nerdier! hee hee
Everyone's right...the 4th of July is such a fun holiday from a.m. to p.m.! We had an early morning patriotic breakfast and a late night fireworks show, and NO slip 'n slide accidents in between! I've got to see that footage!
Post a Comment