Last Thursday, May 1st, we had Oma's (my mom's mother) viewing at the Stake Center where she used to live (in Sugarhouse). We went and drove past her and Opa's house while we were up there. She sold it about 3 years ago when she got sick the first time and she moved in with my aunt Gerlinda and uncle Richard. I haven't driven by the house since it was sold and when we did the other day, I almost started crying. All of the fond memories of that house and Oma and Opa came flooding back. The house looked a lot different. Even the church that was on the corner by her house is gone! They tore it down. So, then we drove to the stake center which is all remodeled and when we went into the Relief Society Room where Oma was I started bawling. She looked beautiful! And then Gavin kept say "OMA!" in his high voice and waving at her. That made me cry more. Zane and Lindsay were asking all sorts of questions like "is she with Opa now?"(Lindsay) and "do we get to see them bury her?" (Zane, that one made me laugh). The viewing was really nice. Friday was a beautiful day. We had a small viewing before the funeral and then the family prayer. That was the hardest part. Saying our last goodbyes before they closed the casket. Zane kept asking me, "what's those things falling off your face?" They were tears and he'd never seen me cry that hard. Her funeral service was short and sweet. I got to play one of her favorite songs on the piano "Somewhere My Love". I screwed up the beginning of the song and started over, but was able to get through the rest of the song. I get so nervous that my hands shake and are ice cold. Oh well. We went up to the cemetery where my dad dedicated the grave. I didn't think I'd be so emotionally drained from this but I was and after we got home all I wanted to do was sleep!
I am so grateful to be a part of the Blietschau family. My Opa and Oma sacrificed so much to come to America. I wish I could tell you all their amazing stories of how Opa fought in the War and how Oma had to escape from the Russians in East Germany. Also the story of how they met and Opa converted her to the church. We need to right a book on all of it (Karen...). I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we have that we WILL see them again and that Oma is in the arms of Opa and our Savior! Ich liede dich Oma! Auf Wiedersehen!
I am so grateful to be a part of the Blietschau family. My Opa and Oma sacrificed so much to come to America. I wish I could tell you all their amazing stories of how Opa fought in the War and how Oma had to escape from the Russians in East Germany. Also the story of how they met and Opa converted her to the church. We need to right a book on all of it (Karen...). I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we have that we WILL see them again and that Oma is in the arms of Opa and our Savior! Ich liede dich Oma! Auf Wiedersehen!
Dan was an Honorary Pallbearer
My parents, brother and sisters. My brother Matt was able to drive with his wife, Lauren, from California to be there.
We all had a flower to put on the casket.
5 comments:
Sweet Oma!
I'm glad you continually inform your blog readers of things like this. I am glad Matt was able to make it. I bet Amy is so sad that she wasn't able to be there though.
I just love the picture where you are putting a flower on Oma's grave. Your hair is so beautiful!
What an emotionally draining time for you; luckily we have kids to cheer us up when we're sad ("can we watch them bury her"!) That's neat that you drove by their ex-home and had a ton of memories, AND that you played the piano at the funeral...I bet you sounded great!
Oh, and you and Karen should seriously write a book. That would be such a nice tribute, and I'd buy it!
OH i'm so sorry you lost a your grams......it is always so hard to have someone past away in the family, especially when you are so close to them:(
Hey, thanks for the comment, Again sorry about Oma. I wish I could have gone to the funeral. But ya Alaska is proving already to be an adventure, old ladies and all! Haha, plus my friends and family list doubled when I added your fam to my blog list! It was great! Anyway see ya later! and keep Mandi in line because she is gay.
Oh, I am SO SORRY I haven't been a very good blogging friend lately! I didn't even know you'd lost your grandma! Please give Annie a hug for me. The tribute to her was so sweet. Again, I know this is way late. Sorry!
Post a Comment